Tuesday, March 20, 2007

the perfect muffin.

I had hoped to be an every day blogger but this past week got away from me. Such is life.


On another note... I want to share with you a perfect muffin recipe. I've been on the lookout for a tasty yet highfiber-antioxidant-lowfat-multigrain-easy muffin. I have no idea what the % daily value is per muffin but I'm 100% sure they are good for you.

Bob's Red Mill Bran Flax Muffins
1 1/2 cup Unbleached White Flour
3/4 cup Flaxseed Meal
3/4 cup Oat Bran
1 cup Brown Sugar
2 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
2 tsp. Cinnamon
1 1/2 cup Carrots, shredded
2 Apples, peeled and shredded
1/2 cup Raisins (optional)
1 cup Nuts, chopped
3/4 cup Milk
2 Eggs, beaten
1 tsp. Vanilla

Preheat oven to 350F. Mix together flour, flaxseed meal, oat bran, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl. Stir in carrots, apples, raisins (if using), and nuts. Combine milk, beaten eggs and vanilla. Pour liquid ingredients into dry ingredients. Stir until ingredients are moistened. Do not over mix. Fill muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake at 350F for 15-20 minutes. Yields 15 medium muffins.

Notes: I used granny smith apples, raisins, and sliced almonds. Yay Bob's Red Mill!

2 comments:

la petite cervelle said...

mmmm with carrots and apples! i'm making those this weekend. i'll post my favourite oatmeal blueberry muffin recipe, so you can try those too once you get your wild blueberries back in season.

just wanted to let you know i got your comment over at my place a while back. it is good to know you are reading, and i love being in touch with you again. xoxo

oona said...

Hi Sarah!

Do try the muffins. They are so tasty.
I wanted to add that I use paper liners for the muffins. I think they would stick otherwise since the recipe doesn't call for buttering the tins or have any real oil or butter in the recipe.

And yes, it is so great to be in touch again and fun to stay in touch like this.