Monday, March 5, 2007

read.

As a nursing mother, I pass the time by reading. Anything and everything. Never before had I read a National Geographic cover to cover. I'm hungry to do something as those half hour sessions sure do add up.
Since Christmas I've had the pleasure to read:
Stories from the Vinyl Cafe by Stuart McLean,
A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian by Marina Lewycka,
Three Day Road by Joseph Boyden,
Joe Hill by Wallace Stegner,
Bagombo Snuff Box by Kurt Vonnegut,
The River Why by David James Duncan,
Love Me by Garrison Keillor,
No Heroes by Chris Offut.

I should probably mention that the last five books belong to my husband Matt. I have, for the most part, exhausted my library. The first three were Christmas presents. I highly recommend the tractor book. It will make you laugh hard.

It feels so good to read. You can map your life by books enjoyed; books that change your perspective. After periods of literary drought, I recall how a good read would saturate my brain cells with a deeper sense of language.

2 comments:

Natasha said...

.....good read would saturate by brain cells with a deeper sense of language.

This is so true, I often read something before I write a paper for school, I seem to write better when I do that.

oona said...

I find it funny that I used by instead of my. Deeper sense of language...?!

You are so right about reading and writing. That is good advice.

I'm glad you understood even through the typo.

Thanks for coming back to visit!