Wednesday, October 17, 2012

green smoothies.


You've probably seen them around... they are kind of weird.  I know.  Well, I was curious.

One day, while making my regular chocolate protein berry banana smoothie, I added a handful of parsley, stems and all.  

I made my first green smoothie.  (I am defining a green smoothie as anything that has a green leafy ingredient.)  No problem for my immersion blender.  A new taste and a new color (kinda brown instead of purple) but not too surprising.  No change really - except a serving of green leaves before 9am and that felt better than good.  Over the next few days, I started to add spinach. Then I started leaving out the banana and trying other fruits.  I was having smoothies nearly everyday.

 I read website after website about them and watched videos on how to make them. I looked at blenders online and got a little obsessed.

Now I know that you need to include ratio of soluble fiber (fleshy fruit) to insoluble fiber (leafy greens).  The soluble fiber gives the smoothie its smooth creamy body, and the insoluble fiber is suspended within this puree.  It's really easy.
Now I know some have opinions about protein powder, or dairy, or that green smoothie should be made of entirely plant materials.  I don't know yet.  I'm still experimenting.  Sometimes I leave out the whey protein and sometimes I notice and sometimes I don't. 
Now I know that fat is important to slow the digestion and keep the fire going - you don't have to do protein, but think ground flaxseed, or avocado, or coconut oil, or milk.  Protein powders usually include some amount of fat.

So I say,  experiment.  You are the only one who knows if this is for you.  You are the only one who can feel any of the benefits or the consequences.   

1. Start slow.  If you haven't made a smoothie before, don't even make a green smoothie to start.  See if you like pink or orange ones or chocolate ones.  Then, add just a few leaves at a time to see if you like the new flavor.

2. You don't have to go buy the blender.  Wait. See. Play.

3.  Try new ingredients. Try frozen fruits instead of berries.  Freeze your own fruit and greens in season.

In this smoothie...
6 frozen strawberries
1/2 cup honey vanilla greek yogurt 
3 chard and 4 dinosaur kale leaves
small handful each of parsley and cilantro
1 cup water

Eventually you'll want a high speed blender.  Ours is Vitamix 5200C*.  It came from Costco.  It is perfect for my family and has a lovely home on the counter next to the fridge.  It can do lots of cool things.

*Ours only came with one 48oz container.

1 comment:

Grace Martin said...

Yummy. I am so inspired by this post. Thank you. xx